Monday, June 7, 2010

Sounds like somebodys got a case of the Mondays

Mondays.
The most unpredictable and unreliable day of the week.
The only predictable thing about a Monday is how we refer to it, "Its a Monday."
They are either OK and tolerable.
Or they absolutely SUCK.
And in my line of work 85% of Mondays SUCK.
Why is that? What is so bad about Mondays.? Why do we let one day have such control of our week?
Today was no different. I had so many roadblocks today. Most of my roadblocks today were people. I DID NOT want to deal with anyone. It was as if someone had hit a stupid button somewhere and everyone went blank. Granted the area I work always gets on my nerves but today was a special day. I almost ran over 2 pedestrians on Highway 9 as they were attempting to play a human form of Frogger in 4 o'clock traffic.
People just seemed spaced out and in a huge rush but were not getting any closer to what they were seeking.
But looking back on today I see it as a test for me. I've been writing alot about how I long to love and respect people more. To take others into consideration for a change. To not sweat the small stuff. To ultimately enjoy life no matter the situation.And today, Monday, I feel I passed my test. I wish I could say that I didn't get angry or have any kind of negative emotion but I'd be full of it. I did however take control over how I exerted it and how I let it control me.
For me to say I will get to a point in my life to where I will never get angry or I will never have any type of negative thought is ludicrous. There are certain traits I have that make me who I am and how I react. I am by nature a very blunt person. I will tell you how exactly how I feel about things without thinking about it. If you are being a dumb ass and its obvious, I feel you should be aware of that. It doesn't mean I disrespect you. I think it means I like you more so I feel you should be aware of things. And I will still be that kind of person. That will not change. No matter how hard I try to suppress it. Its me.
But I will control the unnecessary anger and bitterness.
It is imposable in our society to not have these types of feelings. We have become so set on having everything done in and on our time. We have become such a fast moving, demanding world. We don't want things now. We want them RIGHT NOW! We are so fast paced. So overstimulated. Everyone has 1000 things going on all the time. I have 2 cell phones, 3 email accounts and about 200 customers to deal with a month. So I totally get it.
A hundred years ago if you wanted to know and learn something you had to seek the answers. Actually look for them. In 2010 if we want to know something we Google it. And instantly it is there. Everything we want to know can be obtained in a matter of moments. I feel that because we have access to almost anything at the push of a button we have lost our respect and patience for life.
Everything is a burden to us. We let everything and everyone hinder our happiness.
People are killed over parking spaces. Over a damn parking space 35 feet closer to the door of Wal-Mart. People have lost touch with people because of our fast paced lifestyle.
My point is we need to just slow down a notch or two. Savor the moment. I know that we can have anything RIGHT NOW! And that everything is SO important right at that very moment. But is it worth getting bent all out of shape for? Is the 35 feet closer to the Wal-Mart doors, the doors that open for us, that important. We don't even have to open doors most of the time. WOW!
Why are we in such a rush to do life?
Unnecessary anger is stupid. I can understand anger from certain things but if you're going to have those feelings control them.
And today I feel I did. I feel I made a huge improvement today.
It was "A Monday."
A typical crappy Monday where just a week ago I would have ripped some head off for some of the crap I saw today. A week ago I would have backed up to hit the Frogger people on Highway 9.
Yeah it was annoying. And yeah I think they are idiots still.
But I resisted the urge to let it ruin my day.
And it didn't.
And I am proud of myself. Its hard but I passed the test for today. And I will continue to take it back a notch or two. And I ask you to do the same thing.
The world is only as crazy and as hectic as we make it.
We cant control others but when we can learn to control ourselves others will begin to also.

No comments:

Post a Comment